Md. Sana Akhtar, IPS
Superintendent of Police, Raiganj PD,Uttar Dinajpur
INTRODUCTION TO THE DISTRICT
Uttar Dinajpur district was a part of the Gaur territory in the Sultani regime. The name Dinajpur is probably derived from the title “Danujamardan Deva”, of Raja Ganesh, the ruler of Gaur.
The District Dinajpur came under control of East India Company in 1765, the year in which East India Company obtained the diwani of Bengal. In July 1768, one Braja Mohan Mitra was appointed to collect revenue of Dinajpur area. In 1780, a Mufassil Diwani Adalat was established at Tajpur and in the same year the Raja of Dinajpur died without leaving any heir apparent. Taking advantage of the situation, the British appointed one Devi Singh, a zamindar to collect revenue. In the year 1786, Dinajpur was declared district and Mr George Hatch became first collector of new set-up.”
In 1947 the then Dinajpur district was divided into two- namely Dinajpur (now in Bangladesh) and West Dinajpur. In the year 1956 Islampur Sub-Division, which belonged to Bihar was added to Dinajpur District of West Bengal for better communication and administrative control.
On 1st, April 1992 Uttar Dinajpur was given the status of a separate district, after bifurcation of the erstwhile West Dinajpur district.
As per Govt. notification no. 1621-PL/PB/14M-29/19 dtd. 14/06/2019 two separate police district namely Raiganj Police District and Islampur Police District have been made by dividing the existing Uttar Dinajpur District.
Geographically, Raiganj Police District, Uttar Dinajpur is located in between Bihar and Bangladesh. It links the South Bengal with North Bengal and is therefore strategically important. The district borders Islampur Police district in the North, Malda and Dakshin Dinajpur districts in the South, Bihar and Malda in the West and Bangladesh in the East.
Mahananda, Nagar, Kulik, Sudani, Tangan and Srimati are the main rivers of the district.
|Geographical area||1768.13 Sqr. Km|
|Number of Sub-Divisions||1|
|Number of Blocks||5|
|Number of Police Stations||7|
|Number of Municipalities||2 [Raiganj & Kaliaganj]|
|Number of Gram Panchayats||47|
|Sl. No.||Important Establishment||PS|
|1||LPG Bottling Plant of Bharat Gas, Panishala||Raiganj PS|
|2||P & T Exchange with Microwave Tower at Raiganj||Raiganj PS|
|3||BSNL Uttar Dinajpur at Raiganj||Raiganj PS|
|4||Road Bridge over Nagore River at Bilashpur||Karandighi PS|
|5||WBSEDCL Super Market, Raiganj 33-KV Station||Raiganj PS|
|6||WBSEDCL 33-KV Station, Hemtabad||Hemtabad PS|
|7||WBSEDCL 33-KV Station, Kaliyaganj||Kaliyaganj PS|
|8||WBSEDCL 33 KV Station, Itahar||Itahar PS|
|9||WBSEDCL 33 KV Station, Bikore||Karandighi PS|
|10||Division Store (Near Kulik River)||Raiganj PS|
Total Length of National Highway - 77 Kilometers
Total Length of State Highways - 36 Kilometers
Total Length of other metalled roads - 215.10 Kilometers
|Name of District||Area Sq. Km.||Total Population||Male||Female||Population Density per Sq. km|
|Uttar Dinajpur District||3071.73 Sq. K.M.||30, 07, 134||15, 51, 066||14, 56, 068||956|
|Raiganj Police District||1718.7 Sq. K.M.||1, 467, 429||752, 815||714, 614||853|
|Sl No||Name of PS||District||State|
|2||Karandighi||Katihar & Purnea||Bihar|
Karandighi PS area: Nichitpur Masjid, Surta Dighi, Bagindar Rajbari, Queen-House at Raniganj village, Bazargaon Fort, Gopalpur Police Station (shifted to Karandighi in 1954), Blue House (Nilkuthi), Bikour Zamindar House and Bhagashala Shiba Temple are important places.
Raiganj PS area: Tajpur Court (1780), Panchabhaya Cutchery (five brothers of Pandab spent a night here), Dipanagar Dighi, Bhairabi Temple (at Bindol), Baliya Fort (17th century at Bindol), Astal (Astachal, a prayer place of Vaishnav followers), Bahin Zamindar-House, Bandar Kali temple (1823), Dargah of Pirpukur (at Raiganj Municipality), Tenahari Bishnu Temple (built 11th century), Nehali Bill, Ballaldighi in the name of Raja Ballal Sen, Raiganj Bharat Sebasangha, Bhupalpur Rajbari (1310-1312 bangabda ), Kulik Pakhiralaya (1985), Goalpara Mahanta Masjid, Kalyan Gosain Temple, Dui Kanya Sanggrahalaya (Bogram), Uttar Dinajpur District Museum, Karnojora, Mirual Mazar ( near BSF camp), Kashaba Mahesho Rajbari and Kamalabari Masjid are important places.
Hemtabad PS area: Chandi Temple, Baharail Ganesh Temple, Malan Dak-Bungalow (British Governor established this bungalow) Tarasundari Kali Temple (1760), Gutin Kali Temple (1988), Chowdhury Bari Masjid (1292 bangabda), Bhatura Fort, Kakarsing Masjid and Old Police Station Building (1892) are important places.
Kaliaganj PS area: Radhakrishna and Shiva Temple at Baghan village, Lakshminarayana Temple (Purba Bhandar village), Velai Zamindar-house (Velai village), Bayara Kali Temple, Gudribazar Masjid, Chak Shibananda Temple (at Dhankail, Maheshpur Zamindar House (1901), Pir's-house (Faridpur village), Siddheswari Kali Temple (at Mirzagarh), Tamochari Mathbari Temple (in the year 1206 AD, Sultan Baktiyar Khilji attacked this temple and ruined), Chowdhury House Masjid (at Jingaon village) are important places.
Itahar PS area: Swaminath Temple (Durgapur), Bhendabari Debitala (Shiva Temple and Durga Temple), Sonapur Temple (Bishnu-Mansa-Shiba stone images), Basushri Temple (Surja- Bishnu-Ganga stone images at Pal Dynasty), Dhulpat's Palace (at the time of Pal Dynasty), Debi Chandi Temple (Bhadrashila), Patharghata Dighi (at Gupta Dynasty), Garjangal, Churaman Zamindar-house, Prametheswar Juee Temple (Shiva Temple), Amati (at Jayhat Jain religious place and ruined by Sultan Bakhtiyar Khilji), Chhayghati and Shiva-Parvati Temple (at Jayhat) are important places.
|Name of P.S||Name of BOPs||Name of BSF Bn.||Corresponding district of Bangladesh|
|1. Raiganj P.S||Songaon||28/41 Bn. BSF, Minual, Maheshpur||Dinajpur|
|2. Hemtabad P.S||Bhanoil||134 Bn. BSF, Panjipara||Dinajpur|
|3. Kaliaganj P.S||Uttar Gouripur||41 Bn. BSF, Mirual, Maheshpur||Dinajpur|
|4. Karandighi P.S||Khurka||121 Bn BSF, Panjipara||Thakurganj|
Note : Total 20 BOPs under Raiganj PD, Uttar Dinajpur; total Bangladesh border = 80.5 km (the entire Indo-BD border has been fenced)